Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Singing in the Dark


Last night, as I stumbled back into bed at 2 a.m. after getting up to use the bathroom, I heard something unusual.  As I lay there with my eyes closed, a pretty little melody made it's way into the bedroom from just outside.  I wondered why a bird was singing in the dark at 2 o'clock in the morning.  I quickly drifted off to sleep thinking how I should write a blog about it.

That little bird was singing for reasons I don't know.  She was singing in the middle of the night without any moonlight as a back drop.  She was singing all by herself.  I wonder how often I am able to do that.  I think of all of the times that I have refused to sing when darkness surrounded me.  I think of times when I have forced myself to sing when no one else was there to sing with me.  I also think of the joy that singing brings when that song is written from the depths of my soul. 

I think it's easy to sing, because we are happy, but can we sing even when we aren't?  Can we have the faith we need to sing when we have no support, no light to guide us, nothing but silence?  I pray that I will be able to do that as I have failed miserably in the past.  I want to sing, because I know without a shadow of a doubt that my God is Lord of Lord and King of Kings no matter the situation or pressures of this world.  I want my therapy to be the soul-wrenching song that only God can write.  I want my healing to come from a faith I cannot see...from the hand that made me.  When I can do nothing else, I want to sing...because no matter what, I am free.  I am praying I can be that person that sings without sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment