Monday, June 6, 2011

Be as One

As I listened to the pastor this past Sunday read the words of Christ before his ascension into heaven, something wonderful happened.  I saw a side of Scripture I hadn't before.  These same verses took new form in my mind and became alive in a uniquely different way.  I love that.  No matter how many times we hear or read any of those sacred words from the Bible, they are always living, fresh, new and vibrant.

When Christ was praying to the father that they (that would be all of us) would be one as we are one,  I had always interpreted it to mean that he wanted all of us Christians to be unified as Christ and the Father are.  I do believe it means that.  I also believe it means something else; he was praying for each of us to be one in ourselves. 

How many times has your mind been divided?  How many times have you struggled and toiled over a decision or situation?  How many times have you found yourself talking out of both sides of your mouth as though you were two different people or giving advice to others that you don't adhere to yourself?  I find myself doing those things at an embarrassing rate.

I think Christ knew the torment we can put ourselves through.  He knew of the whisperings of Satan that complicate our every wavering thoughts.  He realized how we doubt and lack faith.  He knew that to live as One in mind, body and soul, prayer could not be forfeited.  He knew the only way we could be one as individuals was to be one with him and that means being one with the Father and the Holy Spirit.  He was giving us an example of what to pray for as he was always being and giving examples.  His life was an example of where and what to go to when the swirling of the mind becomes fierce.  He always went back to the Father.  He always focused on truth and hope.  I am praying that my focus becomes more centered, more clear and lit.  It takes practice not to lose that focus...to return to it. 

I think the more we are one as individuals, the more we can be one with the body of believers.  And the more we are one with one another, the easier it will be to be one in ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment