Thursday, June 9, 2011

Feelings

I am one of those people that feels a lot.  Sometimes, at an annoying rate, even to myself.  My husband and I will be watching t.v.  A commercial about starving children, hurt animals, or just a daddy playing with his kids will come on, and I am boo-hooing.  He laughs a little as I explain why a family on t.v. having dinner made me cry.

I am glad that I am able to express emotion at this point.  Years went by when I didn't cry.  For someone as feeling oriented as I am, that is toxic.  Some people just don't feel as much or deeply since they are more thinking oriented.  So, they don't really feel as much or any emotion about things that I do.  And that is fine.

I think feelings are wonderful gifts to help us navigate this life.  They are the icing on the cake during good times and a kick in the gut during bad times.  I also think, from my own experience, they can be very dangerous if not kept in check.  On a very frequent basis, I will feel strongly about something, and it turns out I was wrong.  Yet, on just as frequent of a basis, I can be right.  I always have to fact check those feelings, because they may be coming from a source that is not completely sure or pure.  They may be coming from my insecurity and unmet needs instead of reality.  It can be hard to face the truth when you feel something so strongly.  You fight the logic others bring up and the logic that nags at you, because those feelings are like a tidal wave that makes it difficult to see.  I find myself checking those feelings on a daily basis.  Can this really be true?  How?  What will the consequences of giving into these emotions be?  What is the truth about that person or situation really, aside from my feelings?  Am I giving into euphoric feelings just for the medicated effect I get from bathing in them? 

I take my feelings to God on just about a daily basis, because I know how wonderful yet destructive they can be if they are not grounded in him.  I ask to be settled and centered since crazy emotions make me fly off the handle, in bad and good ways.  I ask him to show me why I feel what I do when a lot of the time I don't know why.  I have to re-trace my steps until I realize why I am feeling the way I am.  Then, it's time to repeat in my mind truth and give whatever the problem or situation is to him.  I cannot solve the world's problems, let alone my own.  And I cannot go around feeling displaced joy when all of the facts aren't in yet. 

I think my issue, and that of many of us, is jumping the gun.  We don't just let things progress at a normal rate.  We want things now (or, to say it better, we want them yesterday), so we make situations be something in our minds that they aren't instead of facing reality.  It's no fun to let go of false notions when it feels so good.  But, I guarantee, there is something up ahead. God has something planned that can't even compare to the silliness those fake feelings were based upon.  Just wait for it...just wait for it...

No comments:

Post a Comment