Thursday, May 12, 2011

Keeping Balance

I am astounded at how quickly I cease to remember the brevity of this life.  I get so caught up in the busyness, the work to be done, the stress, the plans, the problems...it's like a whirlwind that carries me from the grounded place that God is.  It really is amazing how quickly priorities slip out of order.  What is important can become more important than it should be, and the good foundation we build our lives on can erode so very easily.

I want what I do to matter and to be done right.  Those things are good, but can become bad when there is a lot to be done.  But, when will there not be a lot to be done?  Won't there always be work to do?  Will there not always be deadlines and things to work out?  I think about how I would be were I in heaven looking down at myself.  I imagine I would be laughing at how silly I can be.  I would be laughing at the me down here that doesn't realize the wide scope of eternity.  What we do certainly matters and is of eternal significance, but who we are is way more important.  I think we can confuse doing for being when the doing is supposed to make our being better.  It is such a slippery slope when life is not black and white.

Balance is key in this life, but that balance beam can seem like a see-saw.  We have to stop going back and forth playing so many different roles and find that happy medium in the middle.  To be centered is a precious thing when this world throws so much at us.  I am praying for that today as the papers stack up around me.  That no matter all that is expected from me and of me, that I don't lose sight of what is most important.  That I am the person I need to be in every situation.  A person God is proud to call his child.

No comments:

Post a Comment