Friday, March 11, 2011

I'm not a Perfect Person

Remember the song?  The next line goes, "there's many things I wish I didn't do."  I have to say, I lean toward perfectionism in life.  I constantly analyze my behavior, thoughts and emotions.  A bit excessively, too.  I continue learning, as the song says, that being an imperfect being can be a beautiful thing.  I don't think the focus should be on what we can or cannot do or what we say so eloquently or harshly.
No.  I think the point is that we need to learn from our imperfections.  When words come out of our mouths that never should have.  When we do things that we later regret.  We need to give ourselves a break and others, too.  We do need to be held accountable, but  given the permission to be imperfect as we inevitably will be. 

Maybe you are like me.  Maybe you still think about that stupid thing you said hours after the fact and wonder if you have damaged a relationship for good.  Maybe you did.  Maybe that person can't even remember what you said.  The point is, we all need to give each other room to be human.  We need to let things go and let ourselves off the hook realizing the mistake and changing our behavior.

We also need to be open and honest about the things that others do that hurt us.  How will they ever realize it and change if they never know?  How much damage will be done?  Will it cause the end of a relationship after years of apparent happiness?  Will it keep a distance in that relationship, because those things were never talked about?  And will it all be because we weren't honest about how the words said so carelessly or thoughtless actions hurt us so deeply.  Did you think you could just brush it aside forever?  Did you think you didn't need to make a big deal out of it, because it seemed silly?  Nothing is too silly to talk about if it is hurting.  Someone that really cares about you won't make fun of you but try to work out the situation.  Even if they do not completely understand, the beginning of resolution comes from being as open and honest as possible.  It may take lots of conversations and possible arguments, but it is well worth the understanding that will most likely come between you and that person that loves you.


I believe I have rambled some, but I think it has been an important lesson I continue to learn.  To leave the perfect thing to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment