Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mental Illness and God


The older I get, the more I understand that verse about knowing in part down here on earth.  It seems "adult" issues that we are supposed to understand, often have no answers at all.

I think I went into counseling to find those answers that alluded me for so long.  Maybe if I could understand myself and others better, the atrocities of life could fit into a little box.  Maybe those spiritual things that I just could not see could be identified with long words and medication.  I have found that most of the issues so many of us try to diagnose and treat are spiritual wars that may have gone on for decades.

I am not saying there is no worth in diagnosing and finding cures for mental illness.  I am saying the root of most of those problems comes from the stench of hell itself.  That may be controversial to say.  I realize patterns in the brain can be identified that make it seem that these illnesses are genetic.  Some truly are, but I believe the vast majority of mental health issues stem from the great deceiver.

I have been on both sides of the desk when it comes to counseling and psychiatry.  I have been one that is helping the person and the person being helped.  I think the root of many of the issues people have is so buried, so long-standing and so painful that sometimes no pill and no doctor can cure them.  Only God can shed light on what has been hidden and give hope where there has been darkness.  You reap what you sow, and I believe these demons are passed down from generation to generation. 

I am not pulling this from nowhere.  I have lived it and continue to see it in individuals and families.  I whole-heartily advocate seeking counseling and psychiatric help.  I believe that the only way to truly be rid of the abyss of darkness is to look to God for help-whatever that may mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment