Monday, August 22, 2011

The Work of Rest

I have a hard time with this sometimes.  I seem to long for rest when I have pushed so hard to get the job done, but I still can't let myself really rest.  Rest requires trust in God beyond mere words.  It requires resting in the midst of doing.  I think that is a challenge we all face.

Controlling the situation seems to make us feel more secure.  Taking our hands off of it and going along for the ride can be extremely scary.  I think we fool ourselves, though.  We feel better when we are running to and fro frantically trying to handle things.  If we step back and let God steer, who knows what will happen?  How will we know the job will get done?  How will we feel empowered and proud of our work?

I am one to work and work forgetting that I am supposed to be doing God's work...not my own.  I think if we can keep the mindset that all that we do is not ours for the doing, we will be able to rest more fully.  The task at hand is not for our accolades, it is so God can show himself to the world.

This certainly is a weakness of mine.  The affects are exhaustion and dissatisfaction.  The great work of life can be to trust God to work out what we just can't.  To let him do the work through us, and to live in his rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment