Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Me or Facebook

I am reminded today of simpler days. Maybe it's because of the warm, sweet breeze that effortlessly ushers the sunshine on my face.  Maybe it's the streak of yellow buses passing outside signaling summer fading into fall.  Whatever the reason, it's nice to get that feeling I had when I was younger.  They were times of excitement as I explored the world around me every day after school. 

My brother and I would hunt for tracks to see what animals had been wondering around in the fields in front of our house.  We would go fishing and play in the creeks in the woods.  It was fun to discover the world around us in those days.  I am reminded of going to football games at school sitting on cold, hard metal bleachers all bundled up in the middle of friends on a crisp fall day.  These were the days before cell phones, I-Pads, I-Pods and all of the technology that seems to consume us today.

My e-mail went out for a bit this week, and just that little bit of reprieve seemed like a relief.  I couldn't instantly see who was e-mailing me and feel the need to respond to them.  I sat at my desk doing my work only interrupted by the occasional phone call or person stopping in the office.  It seems that technology can make us uptight and anxious instead of patient and still.  What if we didn't have cell phones to occupy our time with the games, apps, texting and Internet? I certainly enjoy the convenience of technology, but can't help but wonder what I have missed out on because of it.  What moments have I missed with others face to face since Facebook has become the social meeting place?  What story did I miss because I was responding to a text in the middle of dinner?  What website did I see that I shouldn't have?

I guess I just miss the stillness of life.  When people sat on their front porch in the evenings after dinner.  When people would stop by just to visit.  I miss feeling mud between my toes after playing in a puddle.  I loved to play outside for hours as a kid, not play a video game all night.  
I am afraid those days of spending genuine quality time with one another and exploring the outdoors are mostly over for children and adults unless very conscious choices are made to limit how consuming the filling of technology can become.  Technology can be a great way to connect to others, but can also be a way to avoid what needs to be faced in relationships.  I am praying to use the gift of technology as God sees fit.  And that is always for his glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment