Friday, November 4, 2011

These are a Few of my Favorite Things

The crisp air.  The deep reds, lively oranges and vibrant yellows.  The smell of someone burning firewood. Cinnamon and vanilla.  Homemade pies and cookies.  Being bundled up to watch a football game.  Hot chocolate and homemade cider.  The gathering of family.  Laughter.  Togetherness.  I love it.

I just had to write about my favorite time of year.  It is a time of rebirth in my eyes.  That seems odd I guess.  Since the changing of the leaves is really an indication that they are about to drop to the ground, dry up and disintegrate into the earth.  Maybe that's why I love this season so much.  Because right before the death of something living, it seems to come alive in the most marvelous, breathtaking way.  Before the dead, cold winter, God reminds us that what seems like it is dying...never will.  It will go into the earth and provide nutrients so that growth comes again in Spring. 

The views of fall are really an indication of life, to me.  There is no death in the realm of God's children.  Only a period of dormancy.  Isn't that amazing?  God shows us through the world around us that those we love are not gone.  They are not dead.  If they knew him...they are very much alive.  We are the ones that lie dormant.  Our winter is here.  They know the brilliance of new life.  The abundance of waking up in the Spring of heaven must be amazing.  The sad part for us is when there are no more pretty leaves on the trees...when the excitement of change becomes the dreariness of winter.  We see the brilliance of their lives as they move on to eternity and long for that brilliance to never end.  I know I long for Fall to be year round.  Doesn't it seem like those we love leave this world at a time when their colors are so amazing?  It's baffling, but I guess it's the order of things.  The leaves won't always stay on the trees.  And we will not always be on this earth.  But, I am sure of this: the seasons of heaven, the unfolding of our lives up there, is going to surpass anything we could ever imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment