Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Man of my Dreams

A little girl dreams of prince charming riding up on his gallant horse and whisking her away into the sunset.  She doesn't think about what happens afterwards, just the anticipation of him arriving and taking her away to live in the castle of her dreams.

In reality, the girl grows up waiting for that perfect fairy tale, and many times we don't realize it hasn't arrived yet.  We don't realize that what may be a good situation is not great.  We can get in that carriage and ride off into the sunset, but we are really signing up for a life we never wanted.  We are compromising what we really want and silence the voice within that says there is so much more.  Because after the sun goes down, darkness sets in.  That is when our prince charming builds a fire or when he expects us to.  There is going to be night.  Either that knight in shining armor protects and defends her or he sits on the couch while she fights the battles.  He is completely content being able to have her and not have to do what is difficult.  She just doesn't see though, that she is so worth fighting for...no matter what the fight is.

My heart breaks when I see women around me settle because the guy isn't hitting her or insulting her.  She thinks he is nice when there are so many guys that aren't, but being nice is a basic requirement.  God wants more for us than just someone that is a nice guy.  He wants us to be with the person he has in mind to walk through this life with us, committed no matter what may happen.  I would have never realized this unless he had shown me in my own life.  My husband isn't just nice, he flatters me to the point where I really believe he sees this amazing beauty that I don't.  He isn't with me, because he was lonely or just wanted a girlfriend.  He chose me believing I was the one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.  He challenges me to be a better person...to be the person that lies beneath my fears or insecurities.  He teaches me what love is.  When I am at my lowest, he is always there.  I can tell him what I really think, and no matter what it is, we work it out together.  It may take us a long time to figure it out, but we still talk about what would be so easy to avoid discussing.  He will do things that are important to me even if it makes him uncomfortable. No matter the issues from my past, I put it out there for us to tackle together.

I am so very thankful for God answering prayers of so many people through the marriage I have now.

No comments:

Post a Comment