Thursday, April 28, 2011

Expectations

Don't we live our life expecting certain things to happen?  We live day to day with expectations, whether that is expecting that the chair we are sitting in will hold us up or a person we love will be as we expected.  But, what happens when what was expected doesn't happen?  We fall on the floor stunned and dazed.  That chair was supposed to be sturdy and strong.  It was supposed to hold it's weight.  We assume that it will for as long as we think it will.  Sometimes, there are things we don't know about that chair like how much wear and tear it has experienced, if it was made improperly, if there are some loose screws or it has been beaten up by someone else.  Only after we are sitting on the floor do we realize there was way more to this chair's story than we realized.

I think it's the same with people.  I don't believe things happen out of nowhere.  There is always a back story.  There is a reason for that person's behavior that has just left you rubbing your hind parts on the floor.  The sad thing is that when expectations aren't met, hurt inevitably follows.  When we don't think others are acting the way we assumed they should, the truth changes for us.  They change to us.  What we believed about this person is no more.  What we feel, is let down. 

The truth of the matter is we will all let one another down at some point.  How deeply we hurt others by letting them down depends on how much they put their hope in us to do and say what we said we would.  I think all too often we do what is convenient for ourselves never really thinking about how our selfishness affects others.  I am guilty. 

I think God made me to be a very loyal person to my family and friends. So, when others I love don't do as I expected, it devastates me.  But, I remember all of the second chances I have been given in life despite the pain my actions have caused.  Thank God there is no limit on how many times we can be forgiven...and forgive others.

No comments:

Post a Comment