Saturday, June 30, 2012

Pet Therapy

Anyone that knows me or my husband has heard about Bailey.  He's our 4 year old hound mix.  We adopted him from the animal shelter when he was 3 months old.  When we arrived to pick him up, the lady at the desk said he was still groggy from being neutered.  The poor thing had an accident on himself while he was waiting for us.  I love the fact that Eric just picked him right up, poop and all, cradled him in his arms and carried him to the car.

That was the beginning of our love story with our floppy eared, tri-colored, nose to the ground puppy.  It's amazing how much an animal can enrich your life.  I know I'm biased, but he is definitely one of the smartest dogs I have ever known.  When he wants something, he knows how to get it (head cocked to one side as he looks up with his big brown eyes), and when he doesn't want to get into trouble for doing something he knows is wrong (getting into the trash), he works quietly when no one is around so he doesn't get caught.  He also watches television.  He will watch a half hour show about dogs never looking away. 
     
He is also one of the most sensitive dogs I have ever known.  If Eric and I are fighting, he either puts his head down and slowly goes to hide or stands in the middle, looks back and forth at us and barks.  Either way, it makes you want to stop making him upset.  He has been there through difficult times to witness what no one else has. If we are upset, he comes to console us with his wet nose pressed against our faces. 

 I love how his tail starts to slowly wag and then increases in speed as I lift my head to greet him good morning or get down on the floor to play.  When he knows he gets to go for a ride, he follows us around the house while we get ready pushing us with his nose so we'll hurry up.  Once he gets in the car, he stands up with one paw flapping in the wind so he can get his head out to breathe in all of the smells.  His black ears flip flop as we ride along and air pushes his mouth up and down so it looks like he's talking.  He usually has quite a few fans as we ride through town. 

His favorite weekend visit is to PetSmart.  As soon as I turn to go into the shopping center, he starts pacing back and forth in the back seat.  Every dog he meets is a friend.  His nose stays glued to floor to analyze who and what has been in the store.  The only thing he would be fine without is the cats that are up for adoption.  He seems to sense that they don't like him, so he keeps his distance.  He also visits his "grandparents" and other family members (human and canine) quite often.  When we say their names, he gets excited to go see them.  He is a happy dog that loves his family.


I can't imagine the last four years without him.  There have been so many times little things he did cheered me up.  When I didn't want to smile, I couldn't help it when I looked at him.  I am thankful for my Bailey today.  I hope for many more years with him, but if today were our last day with him, I would have peace.  I know God's purpose for his life was to be with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment