Monday, March 26, 2012

Contented Frustration

Have you ever had a goal, but never had any idea how it would become reality?  From where you are now, there are no bridges to the side where that dream seems possible.  You know there are steps that can be taken, but God has you in a place where there is nowhere to step.  You have to stand on the edge of the cliff seeing the dream in the distance, longing for it as you continue to walk the same beaten down path you have traversed continually.  You are tired, often listless and doing your best to continue to do your best. 

I find it hard to be in a place like this.  I hate being bored and am intensely impatient when I am ready to move.  If there is no means of transportation though, we are bound to fall into the chasm that separates us from what we long for.  There certainly is a time for everything.  God never said when or how he would let us know. 

I think we know it's time to move when heavenly stairs appear from out of nowhere.  Without warning, an anointed staircase is there for our convenience.  We did not build them or orchestrate their precise arrival when we deemed fit.  No, they arrive on heavenly time.  Everything is aligned beyond what we can understand so that we land perfectly in new territory.

No matter what the dream in the distance may be, God will take us there when the time is right.  The hard part is treading that same piece of ground until the time comes.  It's interesting to me that no matter how long I have been doing something or done the same thing over and over again, I can still learn new things.  I can still realize how I missed something that was being taught.  Why should we be in such a rush to move, when there is more to learn?  There is more to glean from where we are now.  We need all of that wisdom to successfully tackle new experiences to come.

I think of a young child who desperately wants to be like the big kids.  I think of the little boy that just wants to be big and strong like his Daddy.  Eating their vegetables will be beneficial, but it won't make them grow up overnight.  It's a process.  That's the way it was meant to be.  Even if they seem ready, sometimes parents know that they aren't and to try to jump to the other side is only going to hurt them.  God knows us so well, and he knows what is best for us, too.  He knows the best timing when we often have no idea what that is.

The grass does always look greener on the other side, but I wonder how often we jump ship to that side when we haven't gleaned all we needed from where we were.  My prayer today is to breathe in and out, take one moment at a time, and thank God he holds me in his hands.  I would surely make a mess of things if I didn't trust him in my times of frustration.  Being content was not a suggestion.  God told us to do it.  So, let's do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment