Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Being Truth

Do we pray for those we judge?  I don't like to think about how often I find fault and then sit in the stench of disgust with my finding.  I don't usually have realizations about others and then feel empathy.  No, it is just easier to sit back with my hands crossed and a smug look on my face as I glare at the truth of something that seems so wrong to me.  I am ashamed to put down on paper how unloving I really can be.

Why do I think last to pray for the people I am judging?  Why do I not automatically go to that place that loves them?  Why can't I take my observations to the throne and place them there instead of harboring them in my heart.  I sit on them as they hatch arrogance and bitterness.

I am ashamed of this almost automatic response I have.  Just because I see the truth of a situation, doesn't mean I am God.  It doesn't make me jury and judge.  No, I am trying to train myself to pray first....not after I already judge the person, but immediately.  This is extremely difficult to do!  Mankind seems to complicate everything.  We have a God that sees before, after and all sides of every situation and every person.  Why must we try to out-do him? 

God doesn't give us discernment so that we can gossip, dominate and separate ourselves from others.   No, the stronger brother is to help the weaker brother.  Is there any better way to help someone than to pray for them?  I am not just talking about asking God to bless them or be with them.  No, I am talking about intercessory prayer.  It's the kind where you are speechless and mesmerized by God as you fall to your knees at the throne with his creation on your heart.  You don't bring your bitterness or condemnation of them.  You come broken and humbled lifting someone up to him that probably doesn't have the strength or insight to come themselves. 


Discernment should not be an opportunity to inflate ego.  It should be a blessing of humility, and a lesson in obedience.  I am humbled today as I think of how many people I need to pray for, and how many people I see that are living in a fog and can't seem to find their way out.  I see where they are and how they are taking the wrong roads, but how often have I just watched them run around like a mouse in a maze?  How often have I been broken bread and poured out wine for them in prayer and in practice?  How often have I gone out of my way for someone I have nothing in common with and no inclination to be friends with? 

It is not enough to see or know the truth.  That doesn't make you a better person.  You have to live it.  You have to be it.  Isn't that what Christ did?

No comments:

Post a Comment